Yes Baby I Like It Raw Series - Part 1
“Y.O.L.O.!” You only live once becomes our motto when we want to justify both positive and negative behavior. Somewhere along the way we have applied it to making unhealthy food choices. In addition to Y.O.L.O., we have justified our unhealthy food choices by telling ourselves, “We are treating ourselves.” Although these choices may not have a immediate effect on our health over time they will have a cumulative negative impact. Which usually shows up as, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, fibroids, or much worse.
The beauty of our body, if we are not far gone, it has the ability to heal itself allowing us to reverse many of our ailments. The food we consume becomes our greatest ally and medicine. When we look at indigenous communities globally, there is a deep understanding of the healing power of food. Unfortunately, in developed worlds we have lost much of this knowledge. There is, however, a revival to reconnect with this wisdom now that the research has been able to prove what has been known for centuries.
In this series we will explore different raw food recipes that will allow us to nourish our bodies and also help prevent and reverse disease. Most importantly, we will begin to understand the medicinal properties of the foods we eat.
A green smoothie a day makes your body go YAY! Green smoothies are a great way for us to get our daily requirements of fruits and vegetables.
It also allows us to eliminate the toxins we are exposed to through our environment and the foods we consume. Below is a list of why a green smoothie is great add to your daily regimen on or off a detox.
Amazing Benefits of a Green Smoothie:
Provides us with a great BOOST of ENERGY (say goodbye to your coffee)
Loaded with essential NUTRIENTs and VITAMINS your body needs
FIBER FIBER FIBER (say goodbye to constipation)
Shot of OXYGEN to your cells
Increases the HCL LEVELS in your stomach
Amazing amounts of AMINO ACIDS
What we add to our smoothies can increase its medicinal qualities. Here are few things we can consider adding to our smoothie:
- Mint: Outside of its awesome taste mint leaves has a long list of medicinal properties. Mint is great way to reduce and eliminate gas. It also assists with eliminating constipation.
- Turmeric: If you suffer from pain or inflammation turmeric root can help provide some relief. We must make sure when using tumeric we add a fat like avocado or coconut oil to our smoothie to optimize the absorption. Turmeric is fat soluble and not water soluble.
- Ginger: Ginger has been used as a natural remedy for many ailments for centuries. It has anti-inflammatory properties and a natural painkiller. Ginger can relieve menstrual cramps. It also is great for digestion.
- Cilantro: Cilantro is a powerful, cleansing agent that specifically targets toxic metals. Unfortunately, our current environment bombards us with toxic metals like aluminum, arsenic, and cadmium. Overtime this toxic metals tend to accumulate in body. Once these metals reach dangerous levels, many serious health problems occur. Common side effects of toxic metal exposure include hormone imbalance,and, in extreme cases, impaired organ function.
- Parsley: For many centuries now, parsley has been used as a diuretic that helps in controlling various diseases such as kidney stones, urinary tract infections, and gallbladder stones. Research has also shown that parsley can help control diabetes by decreasing blood sugar levels.
Below are some my favorite go to Green Smoothie recipes that will strengthen and heal the body. As well as a smoothie chart to help you create your own smoothie recipes.
Heavy Metal Smoothie
● 1 bunch of cilantro
● 1 1/2 cup of mango
● 1-2 bananas
● 1-2 sprigs of mint
● 1 1/2 of nut milk or water
1. Blend cilantro, mint, and nut milk in blender until smooth.
2. Add fruit and blend again.
*Cilantro can be substituted with parsley.
● 1 cup of Spinach
● 1 cup of Parsley
● 1-2 cups of water
● 1 cup of pineapple
● 1 cup of mango
● 2 bananas
● 2 sprigs of mint
● 1 tbsp of fresh ginger
● 1 tbsp of fresh turmeric or 1 tsp of powdered
● 1 tbsp of coconut oil
● 2-4 dates (optional)
1. Blend spinach and parsley with water until smooth.
2. Add fruit and blend again.
Thin Mint Smoothie
2 Frozen Bananas
1 scoop Chocolate Plant-based Protein Powder (or 4 tbsp cacao powder)
2 cup Spinach
1 cup Almond Milk or plant-based milk
2 tablespoons Almond butter
1/8 cup Fresh Mint, chopped
1/4 cup Coconut, dried unsweetened (optional)
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
*Add additional milk if needed.
The more smoothies you make, you'll be crafting your own recipes in time. Have fun experimenting and check back soon for Part 2 of our Yes Baby I Like It Raw Series!